Wednesday, March 2, 2022

ARC Mini-Review: Dark Alpha's Passion (Reaper #14)

Dark Alpha's Passion (Reaper #14) 

by Donna Grant

Blurb:

There is no escaping a Reaper. They are elite assassins, part of a brotherhood that only answers to Death. And when Death says a Fae’s time is up, they are who she sends…

The Fae Others think they have me in their grip, but little do they know that I’m working as a double agent. My alliance now lies with the Reapers and Death, and it is my mission and duty to destroy the malignant organization before their rot spreads. Unfortunately, a surprise splits my focus—a more than welcome one. I never thought to reunite with my lost true love. And now that I have, I must find a way to shelter her from the evil Six and convince my new friends that she’s not a threat. Admittedly, there is some doubt. How can there not be? But I trust her. And I haven’t seen her, held her, kissed her for centuries. I loved her then, will love her always, and will do whatever it takes to keep her by my side for as long as we have. Her cunning and courage hold me captive, and our passion knows no bounds. If only the timing were better—and the world safer.

Themes:  Paranormal, Fae

Rating: 4.75 stars

Heat Rating: 

Review:

The Reapers are back and with their newest ally they have the fight of their lives of their hands.  The battles for these Fae and their leader Erith, aka Death, just continue to intensify as the power-hungry Fae Others try to take over not just all of the Fae but the entire world and the only thing standing between that fate currently is the Reapers.  Their most unlikely ally is the Ruarc who was forced into the service of the Others when they threatened the family he has always been responsible for and despite the friendship he formed with one of the Reapers he knows his days are numbers.  Donna Grant has a way of breaking her readers' hearts, bringing us to tears, and then allowing her lovers an HEA that reminds us why we love her writing so much.   I have enjoyed every one of these stories, even as they have crossover with the Dragon Kings and the plots have gotten more and more complicated, but I can honestly say this one was one of my favorites and had me in tears the longest.  Ruarc is doing all he can to stay alive and keep his family safe when he is approached to be essentially a double agent, but then to make his life even more complicated and deadly his lost true love comes back into his life unexpectedly. With everything on the line he knows he has to trust the Reapers in order to survive and keep all those he loves alive, but can he trust all those around him or will the most unexpected betrayal be the end of them all?  Ok so before I share some opinions I will just say that when you read this story make sure you have tissues (or in my case a hanky) handy because boy you’re going to need something for all the tears.  Ruarc has had a lot of shit handed to him in his life, bad choices he had to make, and responsibilities that split his alliances, but through all that he maintained his goodness and the love he carried for his woman and his family.  I loved seeing him stepping up and giving his trust to not only the Reapers despite his fears, but also to the woman that owns his heart, because truly where is love without ultimate trust.  Chevonne was his everything but he gave her up for what he thought was a good reason and when she pushes her way back into his life, despite the danger it puts her in, he gives his trust even when others doubt her.  Chevonne was a great character who had to go through a LOT in this novel, my heart truly went out to her and I cried so much for her, but I loved how she loved unconditionally and stood up for those she loved against even the most terrifying of enemies.  Their love story was a terrifying roller coaster with a lot of flips and stomach dropping heights, but in the end they found their way into one another’s arms and their faith in one another was rewarded.  I love that Grant gives us an HEA even if she forces her lovers to deal with a lot in the course of their relationship.  Grant never lets me down and Passion will go down on the shelves as one of my favorite of this series for sure, but I am dying for more and cannot wait to see what comes of a few more very important characters and the folks that earn their love.

*eARC provided by author for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment