Saturday, July 25, 2015

Mini-Review: Darling Beast

Darling Beast (Maiden Lane #7)

by Elizabeth Hoyt

Blurb:

 A MAN CONDEMNED . . .
Falsely accused of murder and mute from a near-fatal beating, Apollo Greaves,
Viscount Kilbourne has escaped from Bedlam. With the Crown's soldiers at his heels, he finds refuge in the ruins of a pleasure garden, toiling as a simple gardener. But when a vivacious young woman moves in, he's quickly driven to distraction . . .
A DESPERATE WOMAN . . .
London's premier actress, Lily Stump, is down on her luck when she's forced to move into a scorched theatre with her maid and small son. But she and her tiny family aren't the only inhabitants—a silent, hulking beast of a man also calls the charred ruins home. Yet when she catches him reading her plays, Lily realizes there's more to this man than meets the eye.
OUT OF ASH, DESIRE FLARES
Though scorching passion draws them together, Apollo knows that Lily is keeping secrets. When his past catches up with him, he's forced to make a choice: his love for Lily . . . or the explosive truth that will set him free.
Themes: historical
Rating: 4.5 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
Ok so I have to be honest, going in to this story I really didn’t think I would much enjoy it.  The hero is in hiding so he can’t show off his true greatness, he’s mute from a severe injury making it difficult for communication with the heroine, and I already felt pity for him from the last story.  Those all added up with a heroine that I hadn’t developed an attachment to and I figured it would be an ok read, but nothing special.  And I can definitely say I was proven wrong… totally wrong!  Once again Hoyt manages to bring me right to the brink of insanity with her beautiful stories and makes me wish I was living in regency England so I can watch all these crazy people fumble their way through their lives and into each other’s arms.  Apollo turned out to be a real character to read about, despite all my initial misgivings and became a shining example of an alpha male from any time period.  Lily was certainly intriguing in many ways, especially as we learned truths about her that she’d shared with very few.  If you have missed the previous novels in this series I feel bad for you, but you will only miss a bit of the subtle nuances and understanding of the web of characters relationships, but I recommend reading them in order to appreciate the true greatness of Hoyt’s story development. I am very much looking forward to the next story in the series and cannot wait to see Phoebe pitted against her overprotective bodyguard.  I really don’t know how you manage it Elizabeth, but I wish I was anywhere as good as you. 
When Apollo escaped from bedlam there was nothing he wanted more than peace and a simple life, but what he got instead was a determined woman and her crazy charges and the dangerous desire to be the man he once was.  Apollo was a great guy, refusing to let his injury or the danger of his discovery keep him from living his life to the fullest.  His gentleness with Lily and her son, her intelligence and ability to bring his art to life, all make him a man that would be welcome in my life any time and place.  Lily, being a simple actress, underestimates her worth in every other way, but her obvious intelligence, compassion, and sweetness appeal to Apollo’s broken heart.   She brings a light into his life that has been sadly lacking and when push comes to shove they both know that the only way to they can find a chance of happiness is to clear Apollo’s name once and for all.  When danger threatens them, Lily and Apollo’s trust is the key to their safety and it was great to know they had developed that.  When the truth comes out and Apollo’s is exonerated I was thrilled and it wasn’t as predictable as it was leading up to be when the villain is uncovered.  Hoyt takes us on an amazing journey of healing and justice, with sensuality and laughter; she truly brings these characters to life and takes you right to their world.  The future of the Maiden Lane series is looking bright and intriguing and I will be jumping on the next book ASAP.  Another magical foray into the past, Elizabeth, and one I thank you for sharing.
*eBook provided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided. 


No comments:

Post a Comment