Sunday, January 4, 2015

Review: Light My Fire

Light My Fire (Dragon Kin #7)

by G.A. Aiken

Blurb:

The trouble with humans is that they're far too sensitive. Forget you put a woman in the local jail for a few months - and she takes it so personally! And yet she is the one trying to assassinate the queen. And now I'm trapped with Elina Shestakova of the Black Bear Riders of the Midnight... gods! That endless name!
But what am I to do? I am Celyn the Charming with direct orders from my queen to protect this unforgiving female.
Even more shocking, this unforgiving female is completely unimpressed by me. How is that even possible? But I know what I want and, for the moment, I want her. And I'm sure that she, like all females, will learn to adore me. How could she not when I am just so damn charming?
Themes: paranormal, dragons, magick
Rating: 4.5 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
Ok folks now for a serious departure from the mainstream:
 I had the pleasure of an advanced reader copy for the newest G.A. Aiken Dragon kin novel and I loved it.  That being said I can see why there might be mixed reviews, but for anyone that's a fan of the sarcasm, wit, and violent hilarity that is this author’s trademark, Celyn's story of falling into lust then ultimately love is a perfect return to this world. I enjoyed all the craziness and the way that Celyn interacts with his family and his woman, Elina, who was her own brand of insane to say the least.  There were so many hilarious moments in this book, arguments and one-liners that would have you laughing until you were in tears, but ultimately the romance was written in such a way that only a true fan could love.  In the end if you haven’t read any of these novels you will definitely find yourself lost to any of the subtleties of this series, and the character’s greatness might elude you in their overt craziness, so I suggest reading the whole series of course, but Celyn's story will be enough to keep you laughing and sighing as long as you keep an open mind. 
Being that this book is so not mainstream, I’ll be keeping my review out of the box as well. Where normally I would explain the story, there was so much going in this story I couldn’t even begin to summarize it and the characters are so unique there is no defining them.  That being said I totally loved this book and both the main characters.  Getting to see many of the previous couples, from Celyn's family, both immediate and extended, was also a unique gift.  When the ultimate plot is finally revealed and the world gets even more complicated, I found myself on the edge of my seat wondering which side would win, which is not normal by any standard, mainly because at a lot of times the bad guys looked like they’d win. The romance between Celyn and Elina was unique to say the least, with sexy, silliness, and just plain weirdness that defines these characters leading to a love that often made me ask myself "WTF?". I am dying to see where the series goes and finding out how the world has changed after all these disputes and battles have played out.  I wonder if the twins and their cousin will get a novel soon, because seriously I’d love to see the people those three fall in love with.  And when it comes to the newest generation of Halflings all I can say is... DAMN.  Aiken strikes again, leaving behind a masterpiece of weirdness and greatness.    
*eARC provided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensaftion was provided. 


No comments:

Post a Comment