Saturday, April 6, 2019

Review: Dark Alpha's Awakening (Reaper #7)

Dark Alpha's Awakening (Reaper #7)

by Donna Grant

Blurb:
There is no escaping a Reaper. I am an elite assassin, part of a brotherhood that only answers to Death. And when Death says your time is up, I’m coming for you…
Serving Death and the Reapers has been my life for centuries. I’ve always put my duty before everything, even my yearning for Death. But now, she’s fading – our foe is bent on destroying her and he will stop at nothing until he does. Death holds the key to our survival. I will do everything in my power to stop her from disappearing. For her, I will ensure we have the best fighting chance. For her…I will cross the divide keeping us apart.
Themes: Paranormal, Fae
Rating: 4.5 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
 OMG the story we have all been dying for in this series has finally arrived.   This series has gone in some interesting directions and I can see that there is a lot more coming, but I am thrilled that Death and her man have finally found a way to have their HEA.  For anyone that has followed this series, we could see the love and passion that was between Erith and her the leader of her reapers, but both resisted the temptation to fall into one another’s arms, until finally there was no way they could resist anymore.  The war that Cael and Erith have been fighting has changed them both over the millennia, but the time has finally come for her to return her to embrace her former self and find a way to incorporate her past and present lives into one.   The war is escalating and their enemies are multiplying, but Erith and Cael both know that they love they feel is what makes them both so strong.  I loved seeing Erith find her way, with Cael’s help, to the true warrior she was always meant to be.  Her strength and ruthlessness, tempered with love and compassion was just what was needed to lead the Reapers against their greatest enemy.  I will say that seeing her dealing with the inner turmoil and a startling loss in this story had me in tears for a while, but Grant writes it so beautifully that the pain is worth it in the end.  Cael too is a character that you cannot help but love, mainly because he wears his mantle of leadership and love so well that there is no denying he is a true leader of men.  When they are both at their full potential, leading the Reapers into battle, there is nothing and no one that can defeat them.  My favorite moments, though, were the quiet and gentle moments that they shared as they expressed their love for one another and finally let their guards down to admit the love they have both felt for millennia. It is always amazing to see two such long-lived people find a way to finally admit that they have been pining for one another, giving us lowly mortal perspective and reminding us how finite our time to find love and live a worthy life truly is.  I am dying to see where this series goes and how it will continue to weave into the overall story of the Dragon Kings and their war as well.  The amazing way that Donna manages to bring these series together, while still maintaining the separate story arcs is nothing short of amazing in my opinion, and well beyond my abilities, but as a reader I can greatly appreciate the magic of it.  Keep the magic coming my way Donna and I’ll keep spreading the word of your witchcraft. 
*ebook provided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment