Sunday, October 22, 2017

Review: Bring the Heat (Dragon Kin #9)

Bring the Heat (Dragon Kin #9)

by G.A. Aiken

Blurb:
HE SAYS . . .
I, Aidan the Divine, am, well divine. My name was given to me by the Dragon Queen herself! I’m a delight! Cheerful. Charming. And a mighty warrior who is extremely handsome with a very large and well-hidden hoard of gold. I am also royal born, despite the fact that most in my family are horrendous beings that don’t deserve to live. And yet, Branwen the Awful—a low-born, no less—either tells me to shut up or, worse, ignores me completely.
SHE SAYS . . .
I’ll admit, I ignore Aidan the Divine because it annoys him. A lot. But, we have so much to do right now, I can’t worry about why he keeps staring at me, or why he always sits so close, or why he keeps looking at me like he’s thinking about kissing me. We have our nations to save and no time for such bloody foolishness . . . no matter how good Aidan looks or how long his spiked tail is. Because if we’re going to win this war before it destroys everything we love, we’ll have to face our enemies together, side by side and without distractions. But if we make it out alive, who knows what the future will hold . . .
Themes: Paranormal, Dragon Shifters
Rating:  4 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
 Ok so as I always preface stories from this author, whether writing as G.A. Aiken or Shelly Laurenston, if you are looking for something serious, deep, or meaningful then this story is probably not for you.  Aiken/Laurenston always writes stories that are playful, irreverent, and sexy as hell, sometimes veering into the ridiculous, but her characters are certainly polarizing. So that being said, I LOVE this series and this story was actually a return to the greatness of some of the original stories in the series. Lately some of the books haven’t been quite as good as before, but this one brought back the love. I am a bit afraid that this story was set up as an ending, but I am HOPING that is not the case, because this series is great. Branwen, aka Brannie, has grown up during this series and we have seen her and Izzie become great warriors, but here she meets her match in a dragon that is reasonable, sweet and sexy all while managing to be a warrior in his own right and not drive her crazy too very often.  Aidan had no idea that he would fall in love with Brannie, even though he has lusted after her a while, but the moment they find themselves paired on a mission they are surely not going to survive, the two of them get close.  Aidan and Brannie were a great match and they are definitely balancing forces together.  It was interesting to see the lives of all the previous couples and their children and the war, of course, took some amazing turns in this story, though I won’t offer spoilers on that.  I am looking forward to future books in the series if more are heading our way, but the wrap-up of a few story-lines were done with aplomb and I was amazed with the skill that Aiken has in weaving together lives and stories.  If you are looking for a story that will have you laughing non-stop and enjoying the ridiculousness of dragons and the humans that call them friends and lovers, then I recommend this series and this story in particular quite highly.

*ebook provided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment