Just a Little Tempted (Sterling Family Crossover #3)
Carly Phillips, Erika Wilde
Blurb:
I never meant to fall for my boss.
When I was hired
to be Simon’s assistant, everyone warned me he was impossible—brilliant,
demanding, and obsessed with control. But after surviving two months of his
rules and grumpy attitude, I’ve learned how to manage my boss. Maybe it’s my
chaotic upbringing or the fact that I desperately need this job, but I can’t
ignore the moments when his guarded edges soften… even if he pretends they
don’t.
Then one nervous
slip in front of a major client turns into a fake relationship neither of us
can back out of. Now I’m Simon’s “girlfriend,” attending dinners, traveling for
meetings, and sharing far too much close proximity with the man I’m not
supposed to want. Pretending to belong to him shouldn’t feel real—but it does.
And the hardest part isn’t keeping up the lie. It’s realizing I’m falling for
him for real.
Themes: Contemporary
Rating: 4.25 stars
Review:
The
more a story makes you want to reach for a tissue, the greater that story
inherently just has to have been and I can honestly say the tissues were for
sure needed in this one. I thought going into this one that I’d be getting a
cozy and sexy read to get me through my long holiday weekend, ushering in
August and letting me return to the Sterling family world before the next full
length Carly Phillips novel—but leave it to Carly and Erika Wilde to leave be
sobbing for two chapters and then sniffling in the end. The story begins with grumpy
boss Simon, having fired another assistant, reluctantly agreeing to hire his
best friend’s little sister, Raina, who was fired and blackballed by her last
boss because she refused to compromise her ethics. It doesn’t take long for Simon
to not only start to rely on Raina, but he has to resist the attraction between
them because her personality brings brightness to her life that has been greatly
missing. When Simon takes her with him to a business function, hoping as his
plus one she can support their goals of acquiring a new business deal, things
get out of hand when she blurts that they are dating. Soon the fake dating
becomes all too real because Simon decides there is no reason to continue to
fight his attraction to her. But dating the boss is always a dangerous
proposition, but falling in love with him might just be even more dangerous,
especially when something goes awry on a big day and all of his old fears come
to the forefront making him push her away. Can Simon get past his pain and fear
enough to trust in Raina and their relationship, or will she walk away leaving
him without his sunshine forever? I loved seeing Simon finally come out of his
shell and find his softer side as Raina showed him that business is not the
only thing, or even the more important thing in life. Raina knows that she is
worth any effort and will not allow Simon to take advantage of her, but she
loves him enough to allow him to make mistakes and then prove his love for her.
Together they are a powerhouse in their business dealings, but more importantly
they show a beautiful relationship can be found even with two people that have
been hurt in the past if you are willing to open your heart again and tear down
your walls to allow in those that are worth the risk. I am not sure if this
series will continue but if it does I will put in my request now for Wren to
get her own story because she seems like the perfect kind of character to get
to know more. But either way, whatever Erika and Carly come up with next I know
it will be magic and I’ll be the first in line to read it!
*eARC provided by author for the
purpose of an honest and unbiased review. No compensation was provided.
No comments:
Post a Comment