Sunday, November 21, 2021

ARC Mini-Review: Shadow Web (Moonshadow Bay #5)

Shadow Web (Moonshadow Bay #5)
by Yasmine Galenorn

Blurb:

The holidays are here, and this year, they’re deadly…

It’s my first Thanksgiving back in Moonshadow Bay, and everything is hunky-dory until the Witches Guild assigns me a research project for the upcoming Winter Solstice Festival. Not only do I melt down my computer, but I download a demon who ends up stuck in my house.

But Tarvish the Funtime demon is the least of my worries when my grandmother asks my BFF and me to go undercover. A magical pyramid scheme has moved into town and it’s siphoning more than money off its recruits. Will we be able to take it down, or will the leader of the cult manage to silence us for good?

Themes:  Paranormal, Witches, Shifters

Rating: 3.5 stars



Heat Rating: 

Review:

It’s Thanksgiving in Moonshadow Bay and January has a lot on her plate as she prepares to host her first huge family meal, but then strange things start to happen all around her.  Yasmine Galenorn’s newest series, set in the beautiful pacific northwest takes us along on one woman’s journey through self-discovery as she escapes an emotionally abusive marriage of almost two decades and embarks on an all new life.  I have really been enjoying reading this series and getting to know not just January and her family, but also her friends and the crazy characters that make up her world.  Thanksgiving is fast approaching and January has plans to host the big family get together for all her newfound family and friends as well as a few strays she has collected over the past year in her life.  But a few obstacles are being thrown in her path to a clam and restful vacation, including a strange demon summoned accidentally and an undercover assignment that could cost her life is she isn’t careful.  The relationship between January and Killian, her sexy shifter boyfriend is also continuing to intensify as they both come to terms with what they want for their shared future and how they see that going.  I really enjoyed this story, though not as much as previous ones in the series.  There was just so much going on that it was hard to find a single thread to grab onto as the main plot which was a little much for my ADD brain.  There seems to have been a lot of setting up of future plot lines and options for branching stories, but I did enjoy the story and look forward to reading more for sure.  I will say that I prefer the more focused nature of previous stories where there was one overarching problem that January was focused on through the majority of the book.  It just seemed to be so unfocused, jumping from issue to issue, even ones that seemed a little bit nonsensical to me, comparative to normal, though maybe that was a reflection of the way a lot of us are around the holidays to be honest.  Here’s hoping that the next in the series returns to the typical format in coming stories to allow for a more focused plotline and a longer narrative for us to enjoy.  Thanks for a cute holiday adventure Yasmine.

*eARC provided by author for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment