Sunday, October 10, 2021

ARC review: Dark Alpha's Need (Reaper #12)

Dark Alpha's Need (Reaper #12)

by Donna Grant

Blurb:

There is no escaping a Reaper. I am an elite assassin, part of a brotherhood that only answers to Death. And when Death says your time is up, I’m coming for you…

The latest threat uncovered, it is my honor and duty to oust those responsible for the slaughter of so many and make the Fae Others pay for their crimes. However, nothing could have prepared me for the stunning and curious female that crosses my path. She’s an enigma: equal parts strength and vulnerability. She quiets the rage I’ve carried within me for so long and makes me question Death’s directives for the first time ever. Her tragic, emotional story touches something deep within me, and her bravery is awe-inspiring—which makes it doubly hard to let her return to the enemy and the dangers that await. I never expected her, but I need her. She is everything to me, and I will do whatever it takes to make sure she’s safe and by my side. Forever.

Themes:  Paranormal, Fae

Rating: 4 stars

Heat Rating: 

Review:

The battle between the Others and the Reapers is slowly coming to a head, but until Erith and her people get an edge they have no hope of defeating the enemy out to destroy them and take over the world.  Grant returns us to the world of her Reapers still in the midst of their fight for humanity and to protect the world from the evil Fae that are trying to take over and form a new faction of the Others.  This world continues to evolve and we have gotten to know so many great characters through this series and in conjunction with the Dark Kings/Dragon King series, but I don’t think any of us ever imagined just how in depth and intriguing this series would become.  In this newest story Torin and Aisling are hunting for information when they stumble across a most unusual source, a Fae name Breda who shines with an interesting inner light that Torin can’t seem to forget.  Torin instantly knows that he has to keep Breda safe and as the danger around her escalates, she becomes much more than just a way to gain information or entre into the enemy stronghold.  Breda has been on the run essentially her entire life,  never having a place to call home or a group to be her true family, but when she meets Torin she wants so badly to believe in him and offers her trust even though she knows it might end up getting her killed.  Together they will have to come to terms with their place in this war and find a way to accept that sometimes the sacrifices they make are what earn them the right to be together.  I really enjoyed Torin and Breda’s story and getting to know them was both heartbreaking and intriguing.  Breda has lived a life that is horrific no matter how you look at it, but she keeps her head high and a smile on her face, even when she believes she is about to die.  Her strength and inner sweetness obviously drew Torin to her, but more than that, it shows the other Reapers that she is the perfect ally and a woman they can truly trust to join their ranks. Torin has had his fair share of traumas in life leaving him jaded and distrustful of everyone outside of his inner circle, but when he meets Breda he knows on a deep level instantly that she is different, though it takes him awhile to trust that instinct.  Even when he doubts her he still gives his all to protect her and offers her a chance to experience life in ways she never has and that allows them both the chance to blossom. That level of sweetness and dedication made Torin so much better to me and made me like him all the more.  There were moments that could have certainly made him doubt Breda but he always found a way to dig deeper and believe in her and together they found a way to make a dent in their enemies.  The instant draw between Torin and Breda was emotionally charged from the beginning, with passion and a connection that will definitely last a lifetime.  Not to be forgotten, the continuing drama of Xaneth gets more “screen time” in this story and while I have my suspicious where it is headed, I can only say for sure that wherever it ends up, that story will be one for the record books and I’m dying to read it.  I cannot wait for where Donna takes this series next, but I can tell you for sure that whatever the big conclusion to this battle with the Others turn out to be, it will be a doozy.  Grant once again strikes gold with the story of two people with broken hearts that find the trust to heal one another and find love.

*eARC provided by author for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment