Sunday, May 16, 2021

ARC Mini-Review: Dark Alpha's Obsession (Reaper #11)

Dark Alpha's Obsession (Reaper #11)

by Donna Grant

Blurb:

There is no escaping a Reaper. I am an elite assassin, part of a brotherhood that only answers to Death. And when Death says your time is up, I’m coming for you…

When Erith directs me to infiltrate the enemy and topple them from within, I immediately accept the challenge. I figure it’ll be easy until a stunning warrior goddess crosses my path and diverts my attention. The problem? She’s in league with those I was sent to take down. However, I soon discover there is more to her than meets the eye and quickly find my mission divided: disband this new group of Fae Others and save the gorgeous Light from her family—and herself. All it takes is one look, one conversation to know that she’s mine, and I will chance Death’s displeasure to make it so. But the risks are great. Because when you fall in love with the enemy, more than your heart is on the line

Themes:  Paranormal, Fae

Rating: 4.25 stars

Heat Rating: 
Review:

The saga continues and boy do the lies just keep piling up as the plot gets thicker and thicker for these Reapers and their allies.  The Reapers have become more and more integral to the storyline of the Dragon Kings and the battles they have fought over the years, but they certainly have specific purposes in the latest battles and are almost their own offshoot of the overall army led by their own commander—Death, aka Erith, in this case.  I have loved these guys since we started getting to know them and as their world and group has expanded I have become more and more intrigued.  This latest story is about Rordan’s mission to infiltrate a new group of Fae that are recruiting members for a new Others to challenge the safety of the world.  He is on a small island in Ireland attending meetings undercover when he meets the most intriguing and sensual Fae he’s ever encountered, who sadly also seems to be one of the enemies.  Fianna has served as head of security for her brother and father, protecting them as they worked to recruit members to their new way leading the Fae, without asking too many questions, to show her gratitude and loyalty for protecting and saving her in the distant past.  When Rordan and Fianna being to spend time together, the delicate web that has kept her complaint for so many years begins to unwind, and when they find their way into each other’s arms the spell is broken for good.  Fianna can no longer hide behind the lies and fear her brother and father have kept her hostage with and she is determined to break free, but not before making sure that Rordan is safe on his mission.  Will they be able to defeat their many enemies, even with the help of the other Reapers and Death, or will one of them be left behind while the other is truly defeated?  This story was captivating and I was unable to put it down until the very last moment of the story.  I am really looking forward to what comes next, not just in the Reapers story, but also in the overall ARC that they play a role in.

I loved getting to know Rordan more, seeing him as he dealt with a lot of pain from his past and helped Fianna come to terms with the truth of her own pain and past as well. It was obvious that he was a badass warrior, but under that he also seems to be a sweetheart looking for someone to share his life and love with and I enjoyed seeing him find that in Fianna.  Fianna has lived with the lies and fear from her past for a long time, but slowly, with Rordan’s help, she is able to truly accept who she is and find a path to happiness and being her whole self.  I enjoyed seeing her come out from behind the curtain she’d hidden her light behind and shining for herself once again.  Her brother and father were obviously selfish assholes that never deserved her devotion, but sometimes we can’t help our family.  On the other hand it was nice to see the surprises that Rordan got when he dealt with his own family and found a way to come to terms with them.  Overall these two were the perfect puzzle pieces to complete one another and give one another the love and devotion they needed all their lives.  The passion between them sparked from the first moment on the page and didn’t die through the entire story, even when they were just sparing verbally or physically, but once they unleashed the fire it was almost too much to handle.  I cried, I laughed, and I loved right along with Rordan and Fianna as they found their way through the sticky mess of politics, intrigue, lies, and fanaticism to the only truth that matters—love. I can’t wait for more and am dying for a few specific stories, but I won’t mention them so I don’t get my own hopes up.   This one burns right off the pages, Donna, keep up the good work.

*eARC provided by author for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment