Wednesday, March 3, 2021

Review: Highland Dragon Warrior (Dawn of the Highland Dragon #1)

 Highland Dragon Warrior (Dawn of the Highland Dragon #1)

by Isabel Cooper

Blurb:

Legend claims

When Scotland fell to English rule

The Highland dragons took a vow:

Freedom at any price.

The war may be over, but so long as English magic controls the Highlands, not even a dragon laird can keep his clan safe. What Cathal MacAlasdair needs is a warrior fierce enough to risk everything, yet gifted enough to outwit an enemy more monster than man.

What he needs is Sophia.

Alchemist Sophia Metzger traveled to Loch Arach in search of knowledge. She never dreamed she'd learn to do battle, ride through the stars on the back of a dragon, or catch the eye of a Highland laird. But as her quest turns to sizzling chemistry and inescapable danger, she'll soon discover the thrill of being caught in a dragon's claws.

Themes: Paranormal, Historical  

Rating: 2.75 stars

Heat Rating: 

Review:

 The true beauty of reading is that all readers can develop their own tastes and make decision about their feelings on an author and their books, but the purpose here is for me to share mine and sad to say this one is definitely not my cup of tea. I have read only one other story by this author and didn’t particularly find it to my liking either, but decided to give her another change because I so loved the premise and promise of this story. Cathal and Sophia were interesting characters on the surface, but that was just it, their characters were undeveloped, and I never felt like I really got to know them beyond their purpose to drive the plot of defeating the villain, which made it nearly impossible for me to enjoy a love story between them.  Cathal seemed like a good guy, with devotion to his clan and family, if not in the forefront certainly on his mind a lot, and he seemed to care for Sophia genuinely, but beyond that he was just another kick-butt fighter out to defeat evil.  Sophia’s character could have been awesome, but the descriptions of her life and past, what led her to her path in life, and the reason she was the way she was were so undeveloped I still don’t feel like I know her even though she rose above all the others and defeated the evil stalking their world.  I didn’t find myself really enjoying the story until about the last four or five chapters and then suddenly it was over.  I think I will have to chalk this author up to irreconcilable differences and just hope that many others can enjoy her writing and the hard work she obviously puts in her craft more than I.

*eBook provided by publisher (via NetGalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment