Saturday, February 22, 2020

ARC Mini-Review: Unforgettable (Always #2)

Unforgettable (Always #2)

by Lexxie Couper

Blurb:
Sometimes being an optimist is hard work.

Brendon Osmond’s an optimist, a fitness geek, a man with a plan and the drive to achieve it. He’s sure he knows everything there is to know about his life and where it’s headed—until he gets one brief text.
A text from her.
Amanda. The girl who broke his heart.
‘Thinking of you.’
Just three little words, but they’re enough to make Brendon drop everything and head half way around the world to see her.
Acting only on gut instinct, nothing can prepare Brendon for the truth he’s about to learn.
A truth Amanda kept from him for almost two years. A truth who has Brendon’s eyes and claims his heart in an instant.
A truth that comes with a devastating diagnosis with the power to destroy everything he never knew he wanted or held dear.

Themes: Contemporary  
Rating: 3 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
Ok I’m gonna have to be honest here, while I have loved just about everything ever written by Lexxie Couper, this one was nowhere near my favorite and I am not going to be going back or finishing this series.  To my understanding this series was written a while ago under one of Ms. Couper’s pseudonyms and I can honestly say that I would not ever associate this story with her current writing style or any other story of hers I have read.  Yes, other series have had seriously heavy themes to overcome in the love story as well, but this one was just too much and there was too much going on in way too short a time for me to find it either believable or enjoyable.  The premise of the story is that a young man is called to make a long journey back into the arms of the girl that broke his heart once, only to have his world turned upside down again and again as he is forced to come to terms with secrets and drama.  I couldn’t relate to Brendon at all, being that I am pretty much the opposite of an optimist, but I was intrigued at the way he was able to roll with the punches (and there were a LOT of them) and find a way to put himself back together again.  Amanda on the other hand was one of those girls (sorry I just can’t call her a woman) that I can’t bring myself to like.  I can understand her fears, but keeping the secrets she did and then springing everything on Brendon the way she did multiple times... that level of immaturity was just unforgivable in my opinion.  The passion between them was undeniable and it was obvious to see that they loved one another despite all the issues they were dealing with. This story has so much going on in really less than a three-day time period, that it’s just too much to comprehend and process for the reader and to expect Brendon to either.  The fact that there was so much against Brendon and Amanda, more than just the obvious, makes it just too much and had it been spread into perhaps a few months, I might have been able to believe the story better.  I will say that some readers will love the story, but it was just not my thing.  I am looking forward to what comes from Lexxie in other series, but I doubt I will be back for the last in this one.
*eARC provided by author for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment