Thursday, December 27, 2018

Review: Taking It Easy (Boys of the Big Easy #2)

Taking It Easy (Boys of the Big Easy #2)

by Erin Nicholas

Blurb:
Logan Trahan is one of the French Quarter’s hottest bartenders. A single, charming, sexy southern boy who’s proud to pour the best Pimm’s Cup in town. Yes, that’s his biggest accomplishment. So what?
Dana Doucet is a widowed mom of two who’s doing it all. And doing it well, thank you very much. But she had a moment--okay, an entire night-- of weakness and gave in after, ironically, nine months of Logan’s naughty flirtations. And a couple of those Pimm’s Cups.
It was just one night, but now they’re stuck with each other forever. Or at least for the next eighteen years, eight months, and one week. Not that she’s counting.
Well, this is definitely big. But there’s no way it’s going to be easy.

Themes: Contemporary
Rating: 4 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
So the bad boy has finally charmed his way into the widow’s bed with some very unplanned and unforeseen circumstances. Like I said with the last book in this series, it seems like this whole series is going to be focused around the romances between single parents and will focus a lot on issues involving kids and babies.  Being a non-kid/baby person, I’m not really jumping for joy at this trope, but I’m willing to admit that Erin pulls it off enough that it doesn’t drive me crazy and make me want to drop the whole story half way through.  It is obvious that the story revolves around meshing Logan into this family, but seeing as I myself come from a blended family I guess I can understand the problems he was facing, even though I had some issues with how Dana was determined to keep Logan in a strict role even as he tried to be all she and her girls needed. Logan is the brother of the hero from the previous novel in the series so we got to meet him a bit in that one, and see how he was attracted to Dana, but to see that he finally managed to talk her into bed only to get her pregnant was a bit surprising.  Now Dana and Logan are going to be irrevocably intertwined as they have to find a way to deal with the fact that he will be in her life forever now.  Logan wants more, wants to be her husband and a father not just to his child, but a stepdad to her girls as well, but Dana is determined that she will never come to depend on him.  Dana was a bit of a bitch, and I don’t like to use that term often, but I didn’t like how she kept trying to force him into this little box of being just a playboy even as he tried so hard to prove to her that he was willing to step up and be the man she needed again and again.  She was willing to sacrifice everyone’s happiness for her own stubbornness and unwillingness to bend right up until she almost lost the best thing that had happened to her in a long time, if not ever.  Logan knows he hasn’t grown up much, but once he understands that the time has come, he puts his all in and doesn’t shirk a single bit of his responsibility despite that fact that he easily could.  He gives his all to Dana, her girls, and the life he wants to build with them all, even as he is forced to fight her at every turn.  I definitely liked Logan a lot more than I did Dana, but the heat between them is obvious even when they were fighting or when they were playfully arguing.  There were a few frustrating moments to me that I really wanted to slap Dana upside the head for being ridiculous to Logan, but in the end she finally understood just what a great thing had landed in her lap, so I guess in the end I can forgive her.  I am actually looking forward to Lexi and Caleb's novel coming soon, and I enjoyed the little holiday novella that was slipped in as well, Eggnog Makes her Easy, so if you get a chance to read that one over first I highly recommend it.
*ebook provided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment