Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Review: Cursed by Ice (Immortal Brothers #2)



Blurb:
As punishment for plotting with his brothers to steal immortality, Garreth is suffering a freezing torment until the end of time. Again and again, his fierce fighter’s physique is frozen into a chiseled ice sculpture, his heart hardening like a diamond in his chest—only to thaw and resume the chilling torture. Until, like his older brother Dethan, he is offered a reprieve from a goddess—in exchange for his allegiance in a celestial civil war.
 Garreth lives to fight and fights to live. But while laying siege to an embattled city, he finds another reason to go on—a beautiful warrior woman named Sarielle, who commands a mythic beast through a mysterious and powerful bond. Terrified of her strength, the city rulers have kept her captive, and now she refuses to submit to a new master. As Garreth seeks to unleash her passion and melt the icy resistance of her heart, will he become her ultimate salvation—or lead them both to greater destruction?  

Themes:  paranormal, alternate world
Rating: 4 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
Ok so I will begin this review with a guilty confession…
When I saw this new series, a while ago, by Jackie Frank, I was beyond ready for whatever she sent my way again.  I have loved everything Jackie has every written, even if sometimes it can be a little bit strange and of course I am an AVID fan of her Nightwalkers series.  But after reading the first book in this series, which I sadly didn’t care for and had real trouble getting into, I waited and waited to start this story until all four in the series were released and I was feeling beyond guilty for putting off my reading/review.  So when I picked up this story I didn’t have very high expectations of enjoying the story or being able to get into it. And boy do I feel like an ass now!
This second book in the Immortal Brothers series, revolving around Garreth was a great read that I wasn’t able to put down, finishing it in less than a day and then realizing I’d neglected all my needs in order to stay in this amazing world.  Garreth's story begins when he is released from a horrible punishment of the gods in exchange for his abilities to conquer cities in order to spread their name and make them more powerful.  While he is definitely a deadly and dangerous warlord, he is not without honor or nobility.  He was a kickass sweetheart, my FAVORITE type of hero.  And though he works alongside his oldest brother, he is definitely his own man and not willing to give on his principles in order to make his brother happy.  When he comes face to face with Sarielle the first time he is instantly attracted and there is no way that he will be able to keep away from her.  He is hardheaded for sure, but his stubbornness allows him to get things done, including saving her life and the life of her wyvern partner.  I really loved the way he was willing to devote himself to begging the gods for the happiness of his lover when he thinks he has lost her forever, but the moment he gets a second chance at her love, he gives his all to be the man she needs.  I enjoyed getting to know Sarielle too.  She is the type of woman that makes a great role model for others.  She has devoted her life to being the best older sister she can and caring for the twin girls she was left in charge of when they were orphaned.  While she has a lot of inner strength, her confidence in that strength was often in need of a boost, but she never let that stop her from accomplishing the goals she sets for herself.  When she has the chance to share herself with this strong, sweet, and deadly man, she doesn’t shy away from him, instead embracing their passion and grabbing for any happiness she can, knowing that life can change in an instant.  In the end I cried and fell in love right alongside with Garreth and Sarielle and when they found their HEA and a way to fully come together for life I knew that I had shortchanged Jackie.  Ms. Frank’s ability to make readers fall in love with her characters and become devoted to their happiness is beyond compare;  while I will say the first in the series was a miss for me, Cursed By Ice reminds me why I LOVE Jackie and always instantly jump into any new series she offers me.  I definitely won’t be waiting very long before I begin Jaykun’s story Bound by Sin, so stay tuned to the blog for that soon.  The magic is back for me, for sure, with this tale of tragedy, reform, love, and societal progress and I cannot wait for more. 

*ebookprovided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment