Thursday, April 21, 2016

Review: First Time with a Highlander (Sirens of the Scottish Borderlands #2)

First Time with a Highlander (Sirens of the Scottish Borderlands #2)

by Gwyn Cready 

Blurb:
Serabeth’s no-good fiancé is dead, and she needs a husband fast, or she’ll be ruined. Her indignant and handsome captive will do just fine, if she can keep her mind focused on the business at hand...
Gerard is a love-'em-and-leave-'em ad exec who opens the door to a wild party in 21st century New York and wakes up in 18th century Edinburgh with a hangover and a beautiful, disinterested new “wife” who says he has “served his purpose.”
What the kilt
Themes: historical, time-travel
Rating: 3 stars
Heat Rating: 
Review:
Ok, so I gave it a shot. But once again I was left feeling a sense of lacking in this time-travel romance.  I have read so very few novels with this theme that have actually been able to keep my attention or favor.  I enjoyed the story overall, but to be honest there was way too much back and forth going on about Sera’s goals for real clarity and relationship building.  Instead of being a romance it seemed more like a story about time travel, with some relationship stuff thrown in for fun.  I liked Gerard for the most part, though he seemed like he would never get the hang of being a good man, as opposed to a selfish butthead.  He had some real moments of gentlemanliness but they were thrown in with misogyny and self-interest to the point I was confused about his true character. Sera was also shown as a very selfish woman; yes I get that she started the story with a mission to save her fortune, but honestly the single-minded way that she went after the money, to the disregard of everything including the safety of herself and her friends was a bit irritating.  There was some real potential in the story, with some fun moments, but the chemistry between Gerry and Seta was lacking, mainly because there wasn’t enough time for them to build the passion, I think.  I will say that once they both started to think about someone other than themselves there was some light at the end of the tunnel.   And once Gerard makes his stance to claim what he wants, despite what he thinks he should want, I liked him a lot more.  In the end I think I will have to read the next story just to see what happens with their friend Undine, the witch that has brought her two friends’ lovers into the past for them.  If you are really into time travel romance you will probably enjoy this series, but it’s just something I have never been able to connect with so it’s not my cup of tea overall.

*eARC provided by publisher (via netgalley) for the purpose of an honest and unbiased review.  No compensation was provided.

No comments:

Post a Comment